San Gabriel, La Union
Estimated Budget: PHP 1,000.00
La Union is commonly referred by locals as ELYU has been known as the surfing capital of the Philippines. This is where Tangadan Falls of San Gabriel lies. Tangadan was originated from “Tangad” which means “to look up”, people would look up from the ground while appreciating the awesomeness of the falls. The main basin is deep enough, so you should be very careful when jumping and swimming.
The hike downhill only takes about 20-30 minutes going to the first part of the falls. Along the way, you will see some rice fields, narrow passageways, and rivers. In this area, you can do 20 ft. high cliff diving.
After 20 mins of trekking from the first part of the falls, you will then reach the main waterfalls. There is a large bamboo raft that can be rented to get under the falls. You can actually jump from the top of the falls.
Where to stay?
There are numerous hotels in San Juan, La union, 30 mins away from Duplas. If you are looking for a budget friendly accommodation, you may stay at Circle Hostel or you may opt to stay at Flotsam and Jetsam Hostel and San Juan Surf Resort.
How to get there:
From Partas terminal in Cubao take a bus going to San Fernando for 5-6 hours. From there, ride a jeepney going to San Gabriel. Upon arriving, you have to ride a tricycle going to Duplas. In the jump off you will see some locals offering a guide, or you may contact Kuya Allan. If you wish to stay overnight, just bring your own tent.
- Bus to San Fernando – Php 435.00
- San Fernando to San Gabriel – Php 26.00
- San Gabriel to Duplas – Php 50.00
- Duplas to San Gabriel – Php 50.00
- San Gabriel to San Fernando – Php 26.00
- San Fernando to Cubao – Php 435.00
Total Budget: PHP 1,022.00
- Guide – Kuya Allan (0910 842 3021) Php 400/5 pax
- Live vest for rent is Php 50.00
- If you are new to trekking, you can hire a guide because the trail going to the falls requires you to cross rivers. There are also no signs to direct going to the falls.
- There is a large bamboo raft that can be rented to get under the falls.
- Cliff-diving is possible. You can jump from the top of the falls.
- Parking for private vehicle is available at the jump off area.
- Best time to go is as early as in the morning to avoid the crowd.
- Don’t forget to bring any protection from the heat of the sun, coz it’s unbearable. Lol
- Wear a comfortable footwear.
- Flotsam and Jetsam – 12500 MacArthur Highway, Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union, 2514, Philippines
- Circle Hostel – Barangay Urbiztondo, Circle Road, La Union, San Juan, Philippines
T +63-917 505 4329
- San Juan Surf – Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union, Philippines 2514
T +63-9178875470 or +63-0726879990
Enjoy La Union ❤️<<<<<